Civil Society and Citizenship

Class Feedback

Islam, the State and Democracy

In the article "Islam, the State and Democracy", the author discusses Tariq al-Bishari's "Islamic-communal" concept of civil society. He describes this as the network of informal relations, which he illustrates with the example of the Islamic banking system. I'm not certain how informal this system is since it apparently is large and official enough to have become impersonal...
In any case, in my studies the informal system in Egypt (used by citizens to find work and access to other necessities) was described in different terms- more as a survival mechanism born from an intrusive and corrupt state.
The desire for an individual to survive and protect his family is certainly not a cultural anomaly. I wonder if the notion of tribalism as the precursor to these "informal" networks isn't more a reflection of the continued need to "make it in rough conditions" than an example of something unique to Arab culture.
If so, I fail to see the basis of the argument that such "informal networks" necessarily preclude the need for formally recognized (i.e. by the government) civil organizations- except in the case that these networks are somehow a means to justify maintaining the great gulf between the government and the citizens of the state...am I missing something?

Back to:   Civil Society and Citizenship Main Page