Arab-Israeli Politics

New Resources

Why They Do It (September 22, 2005) (fwd)

Here is a test msg - and it includes a review of a book about to be published by Ami Pedazhur, the new colleague I told you about who may be telling us more about Israel and the Palestinians in this course--CH

Clement Henry <chenry@mail.utexas.edu> thought you would be interested in
the following article from The New York Review of Books.

--

The New York Review of Books
September 22, 2005

Why They Do It
By Christian Caryl

On a clear hot day near the end of October 2003, I was finishing
breakfast in my Baghdad hotel room when the distant thud of an immense
explosion shivered the windows. In Iraq we had long since become
accustomed to sporadic attacks of various kinds, but it soon became
apparent that this was something new. The next blast, equally huge,
came around fifteen minutes later, while we were running down to our
car. Another followed soon after that, as we were heading downtown;
and then another. Whatever was going on, it was definitely big. As we
neared the center of the city we could see a plume of smoke rising
into the sky. We stopped to ask passersby and policemen what had
happened. 'They hit the Red Cross,' someone told us. That had been the
first explosion. Subsequent attacks, it seemed, were targeting police
stations all around the city. And it wasn't over yet.

This message was sent to you using the "email to a friend" feature
on http://www.nybooks.com. The New York Review of Books is not
responsible for the contents of this message.

Back to:   Arab-Israeli Politics Main Page