The Politics of Oil

New Resources

Excerpts From the House Debate on Authorizing Use of Force in Iraq

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/10/11/national/11HTEX.html
Title: Excerpts From the House Debate on Authorizing Use of Force in Iraq
The New York Times The New York Times National October 11, 2002

Job Market
Real Estate
Automobiles
News
International
National
- Columns
Politics
Business
Technology
Science
Health
Sports
New York Region
Education
Weather
Obituaries
NYT Front Page
Corrections
Opinion
Editorials/Op-Ed
Readers' Opinions

Features
Arts
Books
Movies
Travel
Dining & Wine
Home & Garden
Fashion & Style
New York Today
Crossword/Games
Cartoons
Magazine
Week in Review
Multimedia/Photos
College
Learning Network
Services
Archive
Classifieds
Book a Trip
Personals
Theater Tickets
Premium Products
NYT Store
NYT Mobile
E-Cards & More
About NYTDigital
Jobs at NYTDigital
Online Media Kit
Our Advertisers
Member_Center
Your Profile
E-Mail Preferences
News Tracker
Premium Account
Site Help
Privacy Policy
Newspaper
Home Delivery
Customer Service
Electronic Edition
Media Kit
Community Affairs
Text Version

Get SBC Yahoo! DSL Internet access

Find More Low Fares! Experience Orbitz!

8,700 Mutual Funds, No Transaction Fees

Join Ameritrade. Get 25 commission-free trades.

Go to Advanced Search/Archive Go to Advanced Search/Archive Symbol Lookup
Search Optionsdivide
go to Member Center Log Out
  Welcome, cmhenry
Today's News Past Week Past 30 Days Past 90 Days Past Year Since 1996

Excerpts From the House Debate on Authorizing Use of Force in Iraq

Following are excerpts from the House debate yesterday on the use of force against Iraq, as recorded by The New York Times. Speakers included the minority leader, Richard A. Gephardt, Democrat of Missouri; the majority leader, Dick Armey, Republican of Texas; the Republican whip, Tom DeLay of Texas; and Representative Nancy Pelosi, Democrat of California.

Representative Gephardt

Let me say to my colleagues and my constituents in Missouri why I've decided to vote for this resolution.

First, Sept. 11 has made all the difference. The events of that tragic day jolted us to the enduring reality that terrorists not only seek to attack our interests abroad but also to strike us here at home.

We have clear evidence now that they even desire to use weapons of mass destruction against us. Before 9/11 we experienced the terrorist attacks on Khobar Towers, the U.S.S. Cole, on two embassies in Africa. But we didn't believe it would happen here.

On 9/11 it did happen here. And it can happen again. Sept. 11 was the ultimate wake-up call. We must now do everything in our power to prevent further terrorist attacks and ensure that an attack with a weapon of mass destruction cannot happen. The consequences of such an attack are unimaginable.

We spent 50 years in a cold war and trillions of dollars deterring a weapon of mass destruction attack on the United States by another country. Now we must prevent such an attack by terrorists who, unlike our previous adversaries, are willing to die. In these new circumstances deterrence well may not work. With these new dangers prevention must work.

If you're worried about terrorists getting weapons of mass destruction or their components from countries, the first candidate you worry about is Iraq. The 12-year history of the U.N. effort to disarm Iraq convinces me that Iraq is a problem that must be dealt with, diplomatically if we can, militarily if we must.

I did not come to this view overnight. It has instead evolved over time as we have learned the facts about the Iraqi regime with clarity. As you know, I opposed the use of force against Iraq in 1991 in favor of giving sanctions more time to work. Others supported force but thought that by dislodging Iraq from Kuwait we would neutralize the threat. In hindsight both of these assessments were wrong.

In 1991, no one knew the extent to which Saddam Hussein would sacrifice the needs of his people in order to sustain his hold on power, deceive the international community in order to preserve his weapons of mass destructions programs or take hostile actions against U.S. interests in the region.

Saddam Hussein's track record is too compelling to ignore. And we know that he continues to develop weapons of mass destruction including nuclear devices. And he may soon have the ability to have a nuclear weapon against other nations.

I believe we have an obligation to protect the United States by preventing him from getting these weapons and either using them himself or passing them or their components on to terrorists who share his destructive intent.

As I stated in a speech in June, I believe we must confront the threat posed by the current Iraqi regime directly. But given the stakes involved and the potential risks to our security and the region, we must proceed carefully and deliberately.

That's why I felt it was essential to engage in negotiations in order to craft an effective and responsible authorization for the force, if necessary, so we can defend our nation and enforce U.N. resolutions pertaining to Iraq.

At the insistence of many of us, the resolution includes a provision urging President Bush to continue his efforts to get the U.N. to effectively enforce its own resolutions against Iraq. I have told the president directly on numerous occasions that in my view and in the view of a lot of us he must do everything he possibly can to achieve our objectives with the support of the United Nations. His speech to the U.N. on Sept. 12 was an excellent beginning to this effort.

Continued
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next>>

Next Big Health Debate: How to Help Uninsured  (August 27, 2002)  $

As Career Wanes, Armey's Fund-Raising Waxes  (July 30, 2002)  $

Armey Says He'll Retire, And DeLay Looks to Lead  (December 13, 2001)  $

Armey, House Majority Leader, May Retire  (December 12, 2001)  $

Doing research? Search the archive for more than 500,000 articles:
Today's News Past Week Past 30 Days Past 90 Days Past Year Since 1996

E-Mail This Article
Printer-Friendly Format
Most E-Mailed Articles
Reprints
Single-Page View

Wake up to the world with home delivery of The New York Times newspaper.
Click Here for 50% off.

Home | Back to National | Search | Corrections | Help | Back to Top

Copyright The New York Times Company | Permissions | Privacy Policy
E-Mail This Article
Printer-Friendly Format
Most E-Mailed Articles
Reprints
Single-Page View

Recent Articles

Congress Authorizes Bush to Use Force Against Iraq, Creating a Broad Mandate (October 11, 2002)

By Wide Margin, House Passes 2 Military Spending Measures (October 11, 2002)

The Opposition: Democratic Foes of Resolution Are Pleased by Totals (October 11, 2002)

Excerpts From the Senate Debate on Authorizing Use of Force in Iraq (October 11, 2002)

A Plan for Iraq: U.S. Has a Plan to Occupy Iraq, Officials Report (October 11, 2002)

Roll Call Vote in House on Iraq Resolution (October 10, 2002)

Topics

 Alerts
United States Politics and Government
Terrorism
Congress
Armey, Dick
Create Your Own | Manage Alerts
Take a Tour
Sign Up for Newsletters

Here's a Hot Deal From Dell
Get a FREE printer or digi-cam or MP3 player with the purchase of select Dell PCs. Offer ends 10/15/02. Click for details.

You can find the perfect escape in Great Getaways. Sign up today for the very best travel offers from NYTimes.com advertisers.

SEARCH FOR SINGLES
I am a Seeking a
Male Female Male Female
Create a free photo profile
Contact others now!
(under $25/month)
Read dating success stories

Back to:   The Politics of Oil Main Page