Civil Society and Citizenship

Class Feedback

Habermas, Civil Society, and Iranian film

Hi everyone,

I had a really interesting weekend attending this conference on Iranian Film. Particularly, I asked one of the panelists a question regarding the impact of Iranian Film on civil society in Iran. One of the panelists, and I continued our conversation with others at the
dinner that evening and the next day at another session. One of the points
that he kept bringing up is that you do not have to have a state to have civil society.
However, the public spehere requires a state. The public sphere is what comes between
society and the state, that is why political parties are not part of civil society,
but part of the public sphere. The discussion goes on, but i just thought that
i would post this, and see what you guys thought. I find this relevant especially because
of our reading of Habermas (in fact this panelist and also discussed Habermas.. good thing i had
done my reading!)

well that was just a little food for thought. good luck on your papers!
-Suz

Remote host:

Back to:   Civil Society and Citizenship Main Page