Civil Society and Citizenship

Class Feedback

Dr. Shafiq Ghabra talk on Thursday, April 18

Here is where our class on Thursday, April 18 will happen: we will be
listening to a Kuwaiti professor who got his PhD here and who has
recently been involved in heated controversies which he explains in my
next forwarded email -- CH

> > *********************************
> Distinguished Ph.D. Alumni Series
> *********************************
>
> Department of Government
> Presents
>
> Shafeeq N. Ghabra
> Ph.D. 1987
> Director, The Kuwait Information Office, Washington, DC
> Professor, Kuwait University (On Leave)
>
> "The Implications of Post-911 for Democracy in the Arab World"
>
> Thursday, April 18, 2002
> 3:30-5:00
> Eastwoods Room, Student Union

> * Tse-min Lin *
> * Associate Professor and Graduate Adviser *
> * Department of Government *
> * The University of Texas at Austin *
> * Burdine Hall 536 *
> * Austin, TX 78712-1087 *
> * Tel: (512)232-7248 Fax: (512)471-1061 *
>
> On Tue, 26 Mar 2002 amarcus@uts.cc.utexas.edu wrote:
>
> > Clem,
> >
> > We have the Eastwoods room in the Union reserved for April 18th at 3:30,
> > and will prepare announcements for the talk. If you have a few sentences
> > of biographical information that would be helpful. I am assuming that the
> > talk is co-sponsored by MES and Government.
> >
> > Best,
> > Abe
> >
> > On Tue, 19 Mar 2002, Clement M. Henry wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Abe,
> > >
> > > I think Shafeeq (how he spells his name) is pretty well known after the
> > > flap about debating Israelis at the Waldorf which in turn got him in
> > > trouble with Kuwaiti Islamists, forcing him to resign his Washington
> > > office post, only to be reinstated to complete his term this June and
> > > return to Kuwait U. So might the Center get him the Eastwood Room at the
> > > TX Union and publicize the visit??? I would imagine lots of people will
> > > come.
> > >
> > > I am off to Florence today, will be back Sunday and may meanwhile be able
> > > to look at my email if I am lucky.
> > >
> > > Cheers, Clem

Back to:   Civil Society and Citizenship Main Page