Arab-Israeli Politics

New Resources

Checkpoints and border crossings (Haaretz)

Title: Haaretz - Israel News - Israel begins testing new West Bank crossing near Qalqilyah

Here is a quick analysis of current Israeli policy for isolating Israel from the West Bank beyond the Wall/Security Barrier - plenty of checkpoints and  few crossings - a recipe for unilateral peace with new borders? --CH

Last update - 18:38 29/11/2005

Israel begins testing new West Bank crossing near Qalqilyah

By Reuters

Israel has begun testing a major crossing on the West Bank separation fence at Qalqilyah.

Israel allowed hundreds of Palestinian workers to cross from the West Bank in the first two days of testing the crossing, which itself abuts the Green Line 1967 boundary with Israel.

The Israel Defense Forces said the new Qalqilyah crossing was aimed at easing passage while boosting security along the fence, which it says keeps suicide bombers from reaching Israeli cities.

The high-tech terminal, in the shadow of a concrete watchtower and surrounded by razor wire fencing and blocks, has the physical trappings of a modern frontier post.

"This has become like the bridge to Jordan, like an international border," said Hisham Abu Radi, a Palestinian farm labourer who spent hours waiting to cross on Tuesday before turning back.

The checkpoint at the outskirts of the citrus farming town of Qalqilyah is part of a network of crossings Israel is erecting along the route of the separation barrier.

Past metal turnstiles that soldiers operate by remote control, guards behind fortified glass check identity cards and direct Palestinians through metal detectors and security checks.

The IDF did not say when the Qalqilyah crossing, which is not inside the West Bank, would formally open.

"The previous crossing was old and archaic," an IDF spokesperson said. "This is a lot more efficient and it is supposed to be smoother. All the security measures are there to make sure terrorists don't get into Israel."

Israel has said it is building dozens of checkpoints - from simple gates through which farmers can access their land to massive passenger and cargo terminals - along its barrier. It hopes to have them all operational by early 2006.

"I believe crossing points between countries should be mutual. But Israel is in charge of their side and our side," Palestinian chief negotiator Saeb Erekat told Reuters.

"It is not an equal situation. I am afraid that these crossing points that Israel is imposing are having to do with the wall and creating facts on the ground."

Crossings similar to the one at Qalqilyah have opened near the West Bank cities of Bethlehem and Jenin, and should open shortly near Ramallah, the seat of Palestinian politics.

"We hope this will be good for everyone," said tile trader Mohammed Abu Nidal, crossing for a second day at Qalqilyah. "But it would be better without a crossing at all. We could get in and finish our work faster."

 Today Online

The Holocaust, Gypsy and Jew

Why Bush likes Sharon

Peres' brother and racism

More Headlines

18:17 Peres: The real change is in Likud, not in Labor

17:20 Peretz: Yechimovicz joining Labor is 'huge contribution'

17:58 Council nixes Haifa's plan to build marina on Bat Galim coastline

18:38 Israel begins testing new West Bank crossing near Qalqilyah

16:56 IDF forces clash with PA police during Bethlehem arrest raid

17:54 Prosecutors seek life sentence for 88-year-old former Nazi commander

15:37 Court asked to recognize non-Orthodox conversions in Israel

17:00 Abbas says will honor Fatah primary elections results

14:56 Labor MK delays retirement to stop judicial appointment

16:54 Israeli-Palestinian soccer 'peace team' to face Barcelona's stars

Previous Editions

Select Day   28 nov   27 nov   25 nov   24 nov   23 nov   22 nov   21 nov   20 nov   18 nov   17 nov   16 nov   15 nov

Bottom of Form

Special Offers

Jdate.com

Find your love online right here!

ENJOY ISRAEL

The best way to enjoy Israel - Crowne Plaza and Holiday Inn Israel

Selah Parfums Jerusalem

Hidden treasures of Royalty. Come, touch, smell, dream...

Connect with Ameinu

Support peace, social justice & a progressive Israel. Click >>

Israel Military Products

Israel Army Surplus and Online Store

© Copyright   Haaretz. All rights reserved

GIF image

count_cid=uk_haaretzx_0

Back to:   Arab-Israeli Politics Main Page