The Politics of Oil

New Resources

Where the Draft Resolution Stands: 'A Final Opportunity to Comply'

Part 3
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/11/07/international/middleeast/07NTEX.html?pagewanted=3
Title: Where the Draft Resolution Stands: 'A Final Opportunity to Comply'
The New York Times The New York Times International November 7, 2002

Job Market
Real Estate
Automobiles
News
International
- Africa
- Americas
- Asia Pacific
- Europe
- Middle East
National
Washington
The 2002 Elections
Business
Technology
Science
Health
Sports
New York Region
Education
Weather
Obituaries
NYT Front Page
Corrections
Opinion
Editorials/Op-Ed
Readers' Opinions

Features
Arts
Books
Movies
Travel
Dining & Wine
Home & Garden
Fashion & Style
New York Today
Crossword/Games
Cartoons
Magazine
Week in Review
Multimedia/Photos
College
Learning Network
Services
Archive
Classifieds
Book a Trip
Personals
Theater Tickets
Premium Products
NYT Store
NYT Mobile
E-Cards & More
About NYTDigital
Jobs at NYTDigital
Online Media Kit
Our Advertisers
Member_Center
Your Profile
E-Mail Preferences
News Tracker
Premium Account
Site Help
Privacy Policy
Newspaper
Home Delivery
Customer Service
Electronic Edition
Media Kit
Community Affairs
Text Version

Discover New Topics in Depth

Small Business Center: OPEN NetworkSM tools

Just $500 to Start and NO Inactivity Fees

25 COMMISSION-FREE TRADES Join Ameritrade today!

Go to Advanced Search/Archive Go to Advanced Search/Archive Symbol Lookup
Search Optionsdivide
go to Member Center Log Out
  Welcome, cmhenry
Today's News Past Week Past 30 Days Past 90 Days Past Year Since 1996

Where the Draft Resolution Stands: 'A Final Opportunity to Comply'

(Page 3 of 3)

6. ENDORSES the 8 Oct. 2002 letter from the executive chairman of Unmovic and the director general of the I.A.E.A. to General al-Saadi of the Government of Iraq, which is annexed hereto, and decides that the contents of the letter shall be binding upon Iraq;

7. DECIDES FURTHER that in view of the prolonged interruption by Iraq of the presence of Unmovic and the I.A.E.A. and in order for them to accomplish the tasks set forth in this resolution and all previous relevant resolutions, and notwithstanding prior understandings, the Council hereby establishes the following revised or additional authorities, which shall be binding upon Iraq, to facilitate their work in Iraq:

If your eyes have changed... shouldn’t your light?

Scientists adapt NASA technology to create “smart bed” sleep surface

A feature-rich digital camera at a price you can afford

  ¶Unmovic and the I.A.E.A. shall determine the composition of their inspection teams and ensure that these teams are composed of the most qualified and experienced experts available;

  ¶All Unmovic and I.A.E.A. personnel shall enjoy the privileges and immunities provided in the Convention on Privileges and Immunities of the United Nations and the Agreement on the Privileges and Immunities of the I.A.E.A.;

  ¶Unmovic and the I.A..A. shall have unrestricted rights of entry into and out of Iraq, the right to free, unrestricted and immediate movement to and from inspection sites, and the right to inspect any sites and buildings, including immediate, unimpeded, unconditional, and unrestricted access to presidential sites equal to that at other sites, notwithstanding the provisions of Resolution 1154 (1998);

  ¶Unmovic and the I.A.E.A. shall have the right to be provided by Iraq the names of all personnel currently and formerly associated with Iraq's chemical, biological, nuclear and ballistic missile programs and the associated research, development, and production facilities;

  ¶Security of Unmovic and I.A.E.A. facilities shall be ensured by sufficient U.N. security guards;

  ¶Unmovic and the I.A.E.A. shall have the right to declare, for the purposes of freezing a site to be inspected, exclusion zones, including surrounding areas and transit corridors, in which Iraq will suspend ground and aerial movement so that nothing is changed in or taken out of a site being inspected;

  ¶Unmovic and the I.A.E.A. shall have the free and unrestricted use and landing of fixed- and rotary-winged aircraft, including manned and unmanned reconnaissance vehicles;

  ¶Unmovic and the I.A.E.A. shall have the right at their sole discretion verifiably to remove, destroy or render harmless all prohibited weapons, subsystem, components, records, materials and other related items, and the right to impound or close any facilities or equipment for the production thereof; and,

  ¶Unmovic and the I.A.E.A. shall have the right to free import and use of equipment or materials for inspections and to seize and export any equipment, materials, or documents taken during inspections, without search of Unmovic or I.A.E.A. personnel or official or personal baggage;

8. DECIDES FURTHER that Iraq shall not take or threaten hostile acts directed against any representative or personnel of the United Nations or of any member state taking action to uphold any Council resolution;

9. REQUESTS the secretary general immediately to notify Iraq of this resolution, which is binding on Iraq; demands that Iraq confirm within seven days of that notification its intention to comply fully with this resolution; and demands further that Iraq cooperate immediately, unconditionally and actively with Unmovic and the I.A.E.A.;

10. REQUESTS all member states to give full support to Unmovic and the I.A.E.A. in the discharge of their mandates, including by providing any information related to prohibited programs or other aspects of their mandates, including on Iraqi attempts since 1998 to acquire prohibited items, and by recommending sites to be inspected, persons to be interviewed, conditions of such interviews and data to be collected, the results of which shall be reported to the Council by Unmovic and the I.A.E.A.;

11. DIRECTS the executive Chairman of Unmovic and the director general of the I.A.E.A. to report immediately to the Council any interference by Iraq with inspection activities, as well as any failure by Iraq to comply with its disarmament obligations, including its obligations regarding inspections under this resolution;

12. DECIDES to convene immediately upon receipt of a report in accordance with Paragraphs 4 or 11 above, in order to consider the situation and the need for full compliance with all of the relevant Council resolutions in order to restore international peace and security;

13. RECALLS, in that context, that the Council has repeatedly warned Iraq that it will face serious consequences as a result of its continued violations of its obligations;

14. DECIDES to remain seized of the matter.

<<Previous | 1 | 2 | 3

Forum: Join a Discussion on A Nation Challenged

Doing research? Search the archive for more than 500,000 articles:
Today's News Past Week Past 30 Days Past 90 Days Past Year Since 1996

E-Mail This Article
Printer-Friendly Format
Most E-Mailed Articles
Reprints
Single-Page View

Start the day informed with home delivery of The New York Times newspaper.
Click Here for 50% off.

Home | Back to International | Search | Corrections | Help | Back to Top

Copyright The New York Times Company | Permissions | Privacy Policy
E-Mail This Article
Printer-Friendly Format
Most E-Mailed Articles
Reprints
Single-Page View

Standoff With Iraq
Recent Articles

U.S. Gives U.N. an Iraq Measure, Seeking a Council Vote Tomorrow (November 7, 2002)

The Exiles: Iraqi Opposition Groups Quarrel Over Conference (November 7, 2002)

Report of Arms Sale to Iraq Roils Ukraine Politics (November 7, 2002)

Topics

 Alerts
Security Council
United States International Relations
Iraq
United States International Relations
Create Your Own | Manage Alerts
Take a Tour
Sign Up for Newsletters

Back to:   The Politics of Oil Main Page