The Politics of Oil

New Resources

Where the Draft Resolution Stands: 'A Final Opportunity to Comply'

Part 2
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/11/07/international/middleeast/07NTEX.html?pagewanted=2
Title: Where the Draft Resolution Stands: 'A Final Opportunity to Comply'
The New York Times The New York Times International November 7, 2002

Job Market
Real Estate
Automobiles
News
International
- Africa
- Americas
- Asia Pacific
- Europe
- Middle East
National
Washington
The 2002 Elections
Business
Technology
Science
Health
Sports
New York Region
Education
Weather
Obituaries
NYT Front Page
Corrections
Opinion
Editorials/Op-Ed
Readers' Opinions

Features
Arts
Books
Movies
Travel
Dining & Wine
Home & Garden
Fashion & Style
New York Today
Crossword/Games
Cartoons
Magazine
Week in Review
Multimedia/Photos
College
Learning Network
Services
Archive
Classifieds
Book a Trip
Personals
Theater Tickets
Premium Products
NYT Store
NYT Mobile
E-Cards & More
About NYTDigital
Jobs at NYTDigital
Online Media Kit
Our Advertisers
Member_Center
Your Profile
E-Mail Preferences
News Tracker
Premium Account
Site Help
Privacy Policy
Newspaper
Home Delivery
Customer Service
Electronic Edition
Media Kit
Community Affairs
Text Version

Discover New Topics in Depth

Small Business Center: OPEN NetworkSM tools

Just $500 to Start and NO Inactivity Fees

25 COMMISSION-FREE TRADES Join Ameritrade today!

Go to Advanced Search/Archive Go to Advanced Search/Archive Symbol Lookup
Search Optionsdivide
go to Member Center Log Out
  Welcome, cmhenry
Today's News Past Week Past 30 Days Past 90 Days Past Year Since 1996

Where the Draft Resolution Stands: 'A Final Opportunity to Comply'

(Page 2 of 3)

NOTING the letter dated 16 Sept. 2002 from the Minister for Foreign Affairs of Iraq addressed to the Secretary General is a necessary first step toward rectifying Iraq's continued failure to comply with relevant Council resolutions,

NOTING FURTHER the letter dated 8 Oct. 2002 from the Executive Chairman of Unmovic and the director general of the I.A.E.A. to General al-Saadi of the government of Iraq laying out the practical arrangements, as a follow-up to their meeting in Vienna, that are prerequisites for the resumption of inspections in Iraq by Unmovic and the I.A.E.A., and expressing the gravest concern at the continued failure by the government of Iraq to provide confirmation of the arrangements as laid out in that letter,

REAFFIRMING the commitment of all member states to the sovereignty and territorial integrity of Iraq, Kuwait, and the neighboring States,

COMMENDING the secretary general and members of the League of Arab States and its secretary general for their efforts in this regard,

DETERMINED to secure full compliance with its decisions,

ACTING under Chapter VII of the Charter of the United Nations,

1. DECIDES that Iraq has been and remains in material breach of its obligations under relevant resolutions, including Resolution 687 (1991), in particular through Iraq's failure to cooperate with United Nations inspectors and the I.A.E.A., and to complete the actions required under Paragraphs 8 to 13 of Resolution 687 (1991);

2. DECIDES, while acknowledging Paragraph I above, to afford Iraq, by this resolution, a final opportunity to comply with its disarmament obligations under relevant resolutions of the Council; and accordingly decides to set up an enhanced inspection regime with the aim of bringing to full and verified completion the disarmament process established by Resolution 687 (1991) and subsequent resolutions of the Council;

3. DECIDES that in order to begin to comply with its disarmament obligations, in addition to submitting the required biannual declarations, the government of Iraq shall provide to Unmovic, the I.A.E.A. and the Council, not later than 30 days from the date of this resolution, a currently accurate, full and complete declaration of all aspects of its programs to develop chemical, biological and nuclear weapons, ballistic missiles and other delivery systems such as unmanned aerial vehicles and dispersal systems designed for use on aircraft, including any holdings and precise locations of such weapons, components, subcomponents, stocks of agents, and related material and equipment, the locations and work of its research, development and production facilities, as well as all other chemical, biological, and nuclear programs, including any which it claims are for purposes not related to weapon production or material;

4. DECIDES that false statements or omissions in the declarations submitted by Iraq pursuant to this resolution and failure by Iraq at any time to comply with, and cooperate fully in the implementation of, this resolution shall constitute a further material breach of Iraq's obligations and will be reported to the Council for assessment in accordance with Paragraph 11 or 12 below;

5. DECIDES that Iraq shall provide Unmovic and the I.A.E.A. immediate, unimpeded, unconditional and unrestricted access to any and all, including underground, areas, facilities, buildings, equipment, records and means of transport which they wish to inspect, as well as immediate, unimpeded, unrestricted, and private access to all officials and other persons whore Unmovic or the I.A.E.A. wish to interview in the mode or location of Unmovic's or the I.A.E.A.'s choice, pursuant to any aspect of their mandates; further decides that Unmovic and the I.A.E.A. may at their discretion conduct interviews inside or outside of Iraq, may facilitate the travel of those interviewed and family members outside of Iraq, and that, at the sole discretion of Unmovic and the I.A.E.A., such interviews may occur without the presence of observers from the Iraqi government; and instructs Unmovic and requests the I.A.E.A. to resume inspections no later than 45 days following adoption of this resolution and to update the Council 60 days thereafter;

Continued
<<Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next>>

Forum: Join a Discussion on A Nation Challenged

Doing research? Search the archive for more than 500,000 articles:
Today's News Past Week Past 30 Days Past 90 Days Past Year Since 1996

E-Mail This Article
Printer-Friendly Format
Most E-Mailed Articles
Reprints
Single-Page View

It's easy to follow the top stories with home delivery of The New York Times newspaper.
Click Here for 50% off.

Home | Back to International | Search | Corrections | Help | Back to Top

Copyright The New York Times Company | Permissions | Privacy Policy
E-Mail This Article
Printer-Friendly Format
Most E-Mailed Articles
Reprints
Single-Page View

Standoff With Iraq
Recent Articles

U.S. Gives U.N. an Iraq Measure, Seeking a Council Vote Tomorrow (November 7, 2002)

The Exiles: Iraqi Opposition Groups Quarrel Over Conference (November 7, 2002)

Report of Arms Sale to Iraq Roils Ukraine Politics (November 7, 2002)

Topics

 Alerts
Security Council
United States International Relations
Iraq
United States International Relations
Create Your Own | Manage Alerts
Take a Tour
Sign Up for Newsletters

Back to:   The Politics of Oil Main Page