Date: 9 Oct 2002 18:17:20 -0000
From: "Eli Pariser, MoveOn.org" <moveon-help@list.moveon.org>
To: Clement Henry <chenry@mail.la.utexas.edu>
Subject: Looking Back at the War on Terrorism

LOOKING BACK AT THE WAR ON TERRORISM
Wednesday, October 9, 2002
Susan V. Thompson, ed.
http://susan.thompson@moveon.org

Read online or subscribe at:
http://www.peace.moveon.org/bulletin.php3#sub

CONTENTS
---------
1. Introduction: Over a Year Later, What Have We Learned?
2. Why Peace?
3. The "War on Terrorism" So Far
4. The Best Unexplored Alternatives
4. Addressing the Root Causes of Conflict
5. Final Thought: Alternatives to War on Iraq
6. Credits
7. Get Involved
8. About the Bulletin

INTRODUCTION: OVER A YEAR LATER, WHAT HAVE WE LEARNED?
Sept. 11 has come and gone. It has been over a year since the
terrorist attacks, and over a year since this bulletin was
created. And it has been just over a year since the War on
Terrorism was officially launched.

Since the peace bulletin was started, we have worked hard to bring
you under-reported information about the war, explain the
complexities of foreign policy, and above all, make a compelling
argument for peace. Now that the anniversary of the attacks has
passed, and we face a brand-new war, it seems appropriate to take
the time to look back, and to summarize what we've learned in the
past year.

Despite a growing peace movement and the sincere efforts of many
dedicated people, the US government launched a war against
Afghanistan. What were the alternatives that the US government did
not explore? What root causes of conflict have we discovered, and
what can we do to prevent conflict in the future? What have been
the consequences of choosing war as the ultimate solution to
terrorism?

In order to answer these questions, this week's bulletin is based
on a cooperative effort between peace.moveon.org and Peaceful
Tomorrows, the US peace group comprised of the families of the
victims of the WTC attacks. We hope that it will serve as a
resource to answer questions about the alternatives to the war on
terrorism, to the war on Iraq, and to war in general.

WHY PEACE?
-----------
by Barry Amundson, Peaceful Tomorrows

While grieving for my brother, my family discussed how we
certainly wanted justice brought to those who had been done this.
It made us very sad and confused that there were going to be
innocent civilians killed as a result of my brother’s death. If
there was going to be a military retaliation, then that would mean
that other families would be devastated just as ours had been.

That was why we felt that the best way to honor my brother’s life
was to work for peace. Many people will come to this as a natural
and instinctual part of mourning. Every emotion is valid when
grieving, and you wouldn’t want to deny yourself or feel guilty
for feeling anger . . . numbness . . . rage . . . or even joy in
remembering. But to end up just focusing on anger is to rob
yourself, and others.

The mission statement of Peaceful Tomorrows says two things. To
seek effective nonviolent responses to terrorism, and to identify
a commonality with all people similarly affected by violence
throughout the world. The first part of that mission statement is
addressed by this bulletin and by other efforts like it. The
second part was something we experienced personally when in
January and in July of this year, members of Peaceful Tomorrows
traveled to Afghanistan to meet with innocent civilians who had
lost loved ones in the US bombing. It sent a powerful message -–
that we are all human, and we all grieve.

Let us not let anger turn to hate in our mourning, and let us work
for a world that seeks understanding, justice and peace.

For more information on Peaceful Tomorrows, please visit:
http://www.peacefultomorrows.org

THE "WAR ON TERRORISM" SO FAR
------------------------------
Was the war on Afghanistan a success? This excellent and highly
recommended article explores, among other things, how the war on
terrorism may actually have increased the likelihood of more
terrorism, how women's rights in Afghanistan have been affected,
and how the new Afghan government was chosen to serve only a
specific set of interests. It also discusses the precarious
humanitarian situation which continues to threaten the lives of
innocent people.
http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=14247

Here are the top ten mistakes made in war on terrorism . They
include losing Osama bin Laden and incidents such as the US
bombings which targeted weddings.
http://www.spiked-online.com/Articles/00000006DA98.htm

Zmag's answers to the 47 most frequently asked questions about the
war on terrorism and its alternatives is an excellent resource.
http://www.zmag.org/55qa.htm

Residents of Afghanistan are tired and afraid of the continuing US
presence in Afghanistan, which may be helping militant groups
recruit new members.
http://peace.moveon.org/r2.php3?r=167

Perhaps based on faulty intelligence, US soldiers continue to raid
villages which seem to have no connection with bin Laden, the
Taliban, or terrorism. The horrifying ordeal faced by one village,
and the death that resulted, is described compellingly by Robert
Fisk.

The interim government is facing increasing instability. The
interim President has already survived one assassination attempt,
and there have also been instances of bombing.
http://cbc.ca/stories/2002/09/06/karzai_kabul020906

Disillusioned, impoverished and threatened Afghans may be looking
to the Taliban to restore stability.
http://peace.moveon.org/r2.php3?r=168

THE BEST UNEXPLORED ALTERNATIVES
--------------------------------
War was not the only answer to the WTC attacks. There were other
options which would not have resulted in the deaths of innocent
people.

1) INTERNATIONAL LAW AND INSTITUTIONS

Those who are seek alternatives to violence frame the appropriate
response to terrorism as "doing justice," not "waging war." The
difference is not just one of semantics. The term "justice"
suggests that the US utilize international law and judicial
procedures, including due process, to bring the perpetrators of
these war crimes to account. By pursuing justice in this way, the
US could improve its relations with many Muslims and others
worldwide, rather than destabilizing already fragile and tense
relationships across national, geographic, and religious
boundaries.

For these reasons, Peaceful Tomorrows has always advocated a
law-based route for bringing the perpetrators of the Sept. 11
attacks to justice.

The terrorist attacks of Sept. 11 could have been defined as
crimes against humanity. Previous terrorist attacks against the
US, such as those against Pan Am flight 103, the World Trade
Center, and US embassies in Africa, were all defined as crimes,
and the US was successful in apprehending and prosecuting the
perpetrators.

The United States could have cooperated with law enforcement
agencies around the world to find and apprehend Osama bin Laden
and members of his network. Through the UN Security Council, the
US could have called for the establishment of a special
international tribunal to investigate and prosecute the September
11 attacks as crimes against humanity. An international tribunal
would have had legitimacy and could have received more
international cooperation than a US court or military tribunal.
It's possible that a tribunal could even have garnered cooperation
from the Taliban, who at one time stated that they would be
willing to hand Osama bin Laden over to a third party for trial.

As we all know, the US government did not choose this option. As a
result, thousands of innocent Afghan civilians have been killed
(one count puts the number at more than 4000), and Osama bin Laden
remains at large.

For a more detailed description of how an international tribunal
would work and why it could have been a better option for
responding to September 11th, check out the following article on
"Terrorism and Justice."
http://peace.moveon.org/r2.php3?r=169

2) DEFINE TERRORISM AND CONSISTENTLY OPPOSE ITS USE BY ANY NATION,
STATE, GROUP OR INDIVIDUAL

There is no universally accepted definition of terrorism.
Terrorist tactics are often referred to as "freedom fighting," and
are deemed acceptable in certain situations. There is also dispute
over whether only individuals can commit terrorist acts, or
whether nations can do so as well.

For years, the United States supported the terrorist tactics of
Osama bin Laden and the "Afghanis" since they were thought to be
justified if they helped defeat the Soviet Union. At the time the
mujahadeen were referred to as "freedom fighters." The US also
supported the Northern Alliance, whom many Afghans and human
rights groups have charged are terrorists according to the US's
own definition.

Today, even though the US is currently engaged in the "war on
terrorism," terrorist tactics are still taught at WHISC (formerly
the School of the Americas) in Ft. Benning, Georgia.
http://peace.moveon.org/r2.php3?r=170

In order to fight terrorism effectively, it makes sense to come to
a universal consensus as to what terrorism is, and to consistently
oppose its use by anyone. This would mean that terrorist tactics
would not be used even in order to achieve "noble" ends.

For more information on defining terrorism, please see our
bulletin, "What is Terrorism?" at:
http://www.peace.moveon.org/bulletin16.php3

For more information on US ties to bin Laden and Saddam Hussein,
please see our previous bulletin, "The Frankenstein Syndrome," at
http://www.peace.moveon.org/bulletin31.php3

ADDRESSING THE ROOT CAUSES OF CONFLICT
---------------------------------------
Since September 11th, pundits have branded those who examine the
root causes of the current conflict as unpatriotic. But there's a
big difference between figuring out the root causes of an event
and assigning blame. Poverty and other root sources all contribute
to the instability of the world and make acts of terrorism and war
more likely, but ultimately it is the perpetrators of these acts
that bear the full responsibility for them.

1) DISCUSS AND ADDRESS US FOREIGN POLICY

A comprehensive war on terrorism would entail examining US foreign
policy. (Or asking, in media shorthand, "why do they hate us?")
Those who suggest that foreign policy changes are necessary in
order to diminish the prospects of future terrorism are blasted
these days by national security hawks and others for being
self-hating Americans and Osama-appeasers.

But this ignores the fact that leaders like bin Laden and Hussein
are experts at seizing the openings provided by US actions in the
Middle East. In his first post-bombing videotape, bin Laden
referred to three policy matters: the Palestinian-Israeli
conflict, US sanctions against Iraq, and Washington's relationship
with autocrats of Saudi Arabia. Playing on these issues may be
manipulative, but it does help increase the popularity of bin
Laden, Hussein and others within certain Muslim quarters.

2) ARMS CONTROL AND DISARMAMENT

Making arms less available keeps them out of the wrong hands --
it's that simple. Cooperative efforts to reduce and eliminate
existing stockpiles of nuclear, chemical, and biological weapons
both in the US and elsewhere significantly reduces the chance that
they will be used. The Bush administration and Congress should
support the pending protocol to the Biological Weapons Convention,
ratify the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty, and preserve the
Anti-Ballistic Missile Treaty.

The US is also the worlds largest arms dealer. As such, the US
should support an international code of conduct on arms transfers
and a comprehensive ban on the sale and transfer of weapons to
zones of conflict. The US should also cease to export weapons to
regimes that are undemocratic and violate human rights. As things
stand now, US soldiers often find themselves fighting people armed
with weapons marked "Made in America," as happened in Afghanistan.

For more information on this subject, please see our previous
bulletin, "The Weapons Industry," at:
http://www.peace.moveon.org/bulletin29.php3

3) FEDERAL BUDGET PRIORITIES

Spending billions of dollars on the military almost makes the
actual use of that military inevitable. Recent budgets delegated
billions of dollars to the US military, despite a failing economy
and struggling social programs within the US. It would be possible
to feed every single person in the world with just a portion of
the US military budget. If our priority is going to be peace, then
the budget must reflect that.

For more information on this subject, please see our previous
bulletin "War at all Costs: The US Military Budget" at:
http://www.peace.moveon.org/bulletin17.php3

4) HUMAN RIGHTS AND LIBERTIES, AT HOME AND ABROAD

If the US is to provide an example of freedom, human rights,
democracy, and the rule of law to the world, then the US must
preserve civil liberties for US citizens and be consistent in its
dealings with other countries. The US should not sell arms to, or
ally with, dictators and governments with poor human rights
records. It should support democratically elected governments. And
it must also support multilateral, international institutions
aimed at protecting human rights.

To learn more about recent US involvement in coups, dirty wars,
and the dismantling of multilateral institutions, please see our
bulletin, "Coups and Dirty Wars," at:
http://www.peace.moveon.org/bulletin28.php3

5) WORLD POVERTY

Millions of people around the world live in poverty. The
desperation of these people may make them particularly vulnerable
to terrorist recruitment and ideologies. Poverty needs to be
addressed through substantial assistance to poverty-stricken
countries and fair trade practices which benefit all of those
involved.

For more information on humanitarian aid, including its pros and
cons, political uses, and relationship to the war on terrorism,
please see our previous bulletin, "The Politics of Compassion,"
at:
http://www.peace.moveon.org/bulletin26.php3

6) ENVIRONMENT AND NATURAL RESOURCES

Developing environmentally sound energy and transportation
policies could reduce U.S. dependence on oil, which may be a
driving force behind the US engagements in the Persian Gulf. It'll
also reduce the emission of greenhouse gases which cause climate
change and may lead to droughts and other damaging weather
patterns. The US should institute legislation that demands higher
fuel-efficiency for vehicles, and ratify the Kyoto Protocol.

7) WORKING FOR PEACE AT A PERSONAL LEVEL

The UNESCO charter states: "Since wars begin in the minds of men,
it is in the minds of men that we have to erect the ramparts of
peace." In order to work for peace, it is important to practice
peaceful conflict resolution in our own lives, and to recognize
the fact that each of us has the potential to do hurtful and
harmful things to others. Peace activist Thich Nhat Hanh teaches
that even destroying all of the weapons in the world will not
bring peace, because the urge to hurt each other, the same urge
which results in the creation of the weapons in the first place,
still exists within each of us. The only way to prevent conflict
and wars, then, is to recognize this fact and to choose to act out
of compassion.

For more information on how regular people can do "evil" things,
and how soldiers (and terrorists) can be trained to kill, please
see our previous bulletin, "Learning to Kill," at:
http://www.peace.moveon.org/bulletin41.php3

For more on how to keep hoping and working for peace even in a
time of war, please see our previous bulletin on "Stories of Hope"
at:
http://www.peace.moveon.org/bulletin30.php3

It is also important to realize that the grief that was a result
of Sept. 11 may have been driving the rush to war -- but that
doesn't make it right, nor even healthy. There is no doubt that
the events of Sept. 11 were tragic, not only for those who lost
someone close to them, but for all of the US and much of the
world. But there still seems to be little acknowledgement that
anger and desire for revenge is one of the stages of grief -- a
stage which must eventually end.

In order to discontinue the cycle of violence, it is essential to
realize that we have a choice whether or not to act on our anger.
Feeling the hurt of loss can lead us all to say, "I want the
people who did this to feel what I'm feeling right now." If we can
find compassion for others in our grief, we can instead say, "I
don't want anyone else to feel what I'm feeling right now."

FINAL THOUGHT: ALTERNATIVES TO WAR ON IRAQ
There is still time to prevent a new Gulf War. Rep. Barbara Lee
explains the alternatives to a full-scale attack on Iraq.
http://peace.moveon.org/r2.php3?r=171

CREDITS
--------
Research team: Dean Bellerby Joanne Comito Maha Mikhail Vicki
Nikolaidis Ben Spencer Sharon Winn

Proofreading team: David Taub Bancroft Madlyn Bynum Carol Brewster
Melinda Coyle Nancy Evans Mary Kim Dagmara Meijers-Troller Alfred
K. Weber

GET INVOLVED
-------------
We're always looking for people who can devote a few hours a week
to doing research or proofing for the bulletins. If you're
interested in helping out, please send us a note at
susan.thompson@moveon.org that gives us a sense of who you are and
why you're interested.

If you would like us to include an action, news article, or source
for more information in the bulletin, please also write to
susan.thompson@moveon.org and describe your item in the subject
line.

ABOUT THE BULLETIN
The MoveOn Peace bulletin is a weekly newsletter providing
resources, news, and action ideas to over 28,500 people around the
world. The full text of the bulletin is online at
http://www.peace.moveon.org/bulletin.php3#sub ; users can
subscribe to the bulletin at that address also. The bulletin is a
project of MoveOn.org. Contact susan.thompson@moveon.org for more
information.