The Politics of Oil

New Resources

Interview With Jacques Chirac

In case any of you are interested in playing a French role in the
simulation game, here is President Jacques Chirac's most recent speech,
deservedly reported in full in today's New York Times. CH
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/09/08/international/europe/09CHIR-FULL.html
Title: Interview With Jacques Chirac
The New York TimesThe New York Times InternationalSeptember 8, 2002

Job Market
Real Estate
Automobiles
News
International
- Africa
- Americas
- Asia Pacific
- Europe
- Middle East
National
Politics
Business
Technology
Science
Health
Sports
New York Region
Nation Challenged
Education
Weather
Obituaries
NYT Front Page
Corrections
Opinion
Editorials/Op-Ed
Readers' Opinions

Features
Arts
Books
Movies
Travel
Dining & Wine
Home & Garden
Fashion & Style
New York Today
Crossword/Games
Cartoons
Magazine
Week in Review
Multimedia/Photos
College
Learning Network
Services
Archive
Classifieds
Personals
Theater Tickets
Premium Products
NYT Store
NYT Mobile
E-Cards & More
About NYTDigital
Jobs at NYTDigital
Online Media Kit
Our Advertisers
Member_Center
Your Profile
E-Mail Preferences
News Tracker
Premium Account
Site Help
Privacy Policy
Newspaper
Home Delivery
Customer Service
Electronic Edition
Media Kit
Community Affairs
Text Version
Go to Advanced Search/Archive Go to Advanced Search/Archive Symbol Lookup
Search Optionsdivide
go to Member Center Log Out
  Welcome, cmhenry
Today's News Past Week Past 30 Days Past 90 Days Past Year Since 1996

TRANSCRIPT

Interview With Jacques Chirac

Following is a transcript of an interview with President Jacques Chirac of France. The interview was conducted in French and translated by The New York Times.

Q: Mr. President, following Sept. 11 you were the first to go to Washington and declare your total solidarity with the United States. It was a touching moment for Americans, and for you too. Le Monde ran the headline "We are all Americans." Since then, over the course of this year, we've heard many expressions of concern regarding America, and in New York and Washington, there's a sense that feelings toward the United States in Europe and elsewhere have changed. How do you explain that? Do you agree with this analysis?

A: I would like to start by saying that personally, I'm very attached to the United States. It's a country that I love, that I admire, that I respect, naturally, and it's a country that I know rather well. Indeed, as Ms. Sciolino said earlier, when I was young I lived there several times. I stayed in the U.S. for extended periods on several occasions. I studied there; I worked there as a soda jerk and a forklift driver; I was a chauffeur; I was a journalist; I had a press card, which I still have. It's a country that I know well and that I love, and I always go back with pleasure, although I always have plenty of regrets that I'm bound by official obligations and can't simply wander around.

In this context, talking about the days following Sept. 11, when I had the privilege of meeting you, I want to say that my first thoughts when that tragedy struck were for the victims and their families. And they were strong thoughts. It's true that when the tragedy took place, my first reaction was to say: "We are all Americans." And I want to say today that those feelings haven't disappeared; on the contrary, they've grown even stronger with the anniversary, and that my feelings of admiration - naturally for all those who were directly affected but also for all the civilian and military authorities, beginning with President Bush - those feelings of admiration for the courage and determination we saw remain very strong today.

Now, you certainly watch French television and read French papers, but beyond that, something inside the French people was touched, and that hasn't changed. And that feeling goes far beyond any criticism - a subject we will of course get back to later. It demonstrates once again that when the chips are down, the French and Americans have always stood together and have never failed to be there for one another. That's been the case since Yorktown and it still holds true today. That's the reality.

I would add that all this is framed by the context of terrorism and its changing face, and that France is utterly and unreservedly determined to fight against terrorism and the proliferation that facilitates modern terrorist initiatives. Let's be completely clear about this. So you say to me: "Yes, but what about the criticism?" Well yes, of course, there has always been criticism, thank goodness. In life, you know, one must not confuse friends with sycophants. It's better to have only a few friends than to have a lot of sycophants. And I'm telling you that France considers itself one of the friends of the Americans, not necessarily one of its sycophants. And when we have something to say, we say it.

Q: Sept. 11 led the United States to formulate a new doctrine over the past year that differs quite radically from the previous doctrine. Mr. Bush and his administration have declared that to fight against the threat of terrorism that you mentioned, Mr. President, a doctrine of pre-emption must be adopted. In other words, sometimes it might be necessary to take preventive action, for example in the case of Iraq. What do you have to say about this doctrine, which some consider very dangerous and destabilizing?

A: I'll be very frank with you. As I've already told President Bush, I have great reservations about this doctrine. As soon as one nation claims the right to take preventive action, other countries will naturally do the same. And what would you say in the entirely hypothetical event that China wanted to take preemptive action against Taiwan, saying that Taiwan was a threat to it? How would the Americans, the Europeans and others react? Or what if India decided to take preventive action against Pakistan, or vice versa? Or Russia against Chechnya or somewhere else? What would we say?

I think this is an extraordinarily dangerous doctrine that could have tragic consequences. Preventive action can be undertaken if it appears necessary, but it must be taken by the international community, which today is represented by the United Nations Security Council.

In any case, regardless of the initiatives and changes in doctrine that could conceivably be instituted by the United States, we must not forget that prevention and dissuasion still remain the motivating factors for peace in the world.

Q: In the specific case of Saddam Hussein and Iraq, today, how would you like to proceed, Mr. President? What is the best way to be sure that Saddam Hussein doesn't develop further weapons of mass destruction, and to achieve the stated goal of the administration, which is a change of regime in Iraq? And do you share that objective?