Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 10:21:30 -0500 (EST)
From: Gary G Sick <ggs2@columbia.edu>
To: gulf2000 list <gulf2000-list@columbia.edu>
Subject: Human Rights Report

The US Department of State recently released its annual report on Human
Rights, 2001. The Middle East part of the report is available at:

http://www.state.gov/g/drl/rls/hrrpt/2001/nea/

I did a spot check, and the report appears to be comprehensive, accurate
and relatively uninfluenced by US political relations (it is, for example,
highly critical of Saudi human rights practices).

If you have never looked at these reports, you should be aware that they
not only document human rights practices but, in many cases, constitute a
record of major political developments in countries such as Bahrain,
Qatar, Iran and others. As such, they are very useful reference documents
for research extending beyond human rights exclusively.

Back to:   Civil Society and Citizenship Main Page