Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 19:53:42 -0800 (PST)
From: matthew garrington <mattgarrington@yahoo.com>
To: mattgarrington@yahoo.com
Subject: careers for social change

Dear Professor,

My name is Matthew Garrington and I am the Colorado Campus Organizer with the State Public Interest Research Groups (PIRGs).

The State PIRGs are a nationwide network of non-profit activist organizations that advocate on behalf of the public interest. We work in several areas including: the environment, democracy and consumer rights.

I am contacting you because I am looking for students who are graduating this year who might be interested in hearing about job opportunities in the non-profit sector.

Graduates can receive "hands" experience on real world political issues. With the State PIRGs, graduates would work for social change in several areas, including: community organizing, drafting and implementing public policies and extensive work with the media.

I am hoping that you may know of some students that might be interested in job opportunities with our organization. I am hopeful that you may be able to help us in one of the following ways:

Email out an announcement (below) to your students.
Make an announcement to your classes.
Send us names of any students you think would be interested in positions with the State PIRGs.
Post a flyer in your office

Please let me know if you are able to do any of these things or if you could recommend any other people at UT to speak with. I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you very much for your time.

Regards,

*********************************

Matthew Garrington

Colorado Campus Organizer, CoPIRG

UC 2115 Campus Box 78

Greeley CO 80631

970-351-4504

mattgarrington@yahoo.com

www.pirg.org

Dear UT Senior,

As a graduating senior you are no doubt trying to decide what you will do next year, or even for the next 5 years. I would like to let you know more about an opportunity in the non-profit/social change field.

ON March 6th the State PIRGs (Public Interest Research Groups) will be conducting an information session and on March 7th interviews on campus.

The PIRGs are a nationwide network of non-profit organizations that work to solve some of societies most pressing problems such as: the 1 million Americans whose drinking water that doesn't meet health and safety standards, the grid-locked political process held hostage by special interest lobbyists and special interest campaign donations, and the threat to some of our most pristine wilderness like the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.

PIRG tackles these problems through a variety of strategies. We watchdog the political process to hold elected officials accountable to their constituents. We organize citizens, students and organizations to build diverse range of support. We work with media outlets to publicize our programs and lobby decision-makers to turn good ideas into strong public policy.

We are looking to hire qualified seniors for our campus organizing positions and for public interest fellows program.

If you are ready work hard and make things happen, then the PIRGs are the place for you. Make a difference when you graduate. Please feel free to call me at 970-35104594 (or contact our Austin contact, Luke Metzger, at 512-479-7287), email me at mattgarrington@yahoo.com or check out our web pate at www.pirg.org for more information.