Arab-Israeli Politics

Role Profiles

George Walker Bush

Title:
George Walker Bush, President of the United States of America - Role Profile
Alexander Hunt (Facilitator), Michael Baker, Katie Jernigan, Zach Neumann

As President of the United States of America, I am the most powerful policy maker in the world today. As one of the sole executors of American foreign policy, I play an essential role in global affairs. My responsibilities include overseeing U.S. military operations abroad, setting international trade and economic policy, and to a more limited extent, ensuring global stability.

My role in the game is essential. In addition to being in control of a large military presence in the Middle East, I am very interested in maintaining this region’s consistent production of fossil fuels. Also, my nation has traditionally been a mediator in disputes between Palestinians and Israelis despite our tendency to support the latter more frequently than the former. Although I would love to spend more time creating a long-term Palestinian-Israel peace, most of my time will be spent tending to my weak approval at home and a costly and time-consuming war in Iraq.

I have several goals for my administration in the Middle East. First, regional stability is key to ensuring a safe and secure world order. After the fall of the Soviet Union, the U.S. is the pre-eminent world power and we must stay on the offensive to ensure that America’s supremacy remains intact. Through maintaining the stability of the highly volatile region of the Middle East, America’s heavy dependence on oil from the area will not be in jeopardy. I am a strong proponent in freedom and democratic government. Thus, my moves in Afghanistan and Iraq were two-fold: 1) to remove enemy governments to the U.S. but also to 2) place stable democracies in the region so Arabs will call for their own governments to follow their neighbor’s example and implement democratic policies.

As the President of the United States, there are many groups that I consider either an ally or opponent based upon their support of both my policies and what I consider the ideology of the American people.  Within my own country, I have a strong network of allies and advisors that are key to drafting and promoting my domestic and international agenda.  Although there are a few significant dissenters in the political arena and among the liberal media within the United States, I believe that I have a mandate of the people that allows me to handle situations in a way that satisfies both own personal sense of morality and my obligation to God and country.  I consider it to be my duty to push American ideology onto countries within the Middle East and I am willing to ignore international pressure in the pursuit of my goals.  I have a willingness to ignore both the UN and other countries protest over my actions, but do not wish to go out of my way to harm these institutions.  I recognize that in the Middle East, there is a significant instability due to America's overextension in Iraq, various terrorist groups hatred of our country, and their own land and religious debates.  Although America historically sides with Israel in the Israeli/Palestinian conflict, I maintain that I will refuse to yield to what I consider a terrorist organizations.  I personally believe inworking with all Middle Eastern countries for peace, as long as it is clear they are willing to work for peace and grant all people the most basic of civil rights.  Due to Saudi Arabia's economic ties with my country, I consider it to be one of our closest allies, and I act to promote its interest in the Middle East. I believe in working towards peace, but I realize that that goal may be simply unrealistic at this time.  (See specific list of allies and enemies that are in the simulation game below)

My presidency contributed much to the world over the past 5 years. The wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have sent terrorists running for the hills and have shown America’s superior military might. Unfortunately, these same conflicts have hurt my approval rating at home and in the future may prove to have destabilized the region. My disregard of the UN and refusal to “seek a permission slip” to protect America has hurt America’s alliances in Western Europe and has weakened the confidence of the United Nations worldwide. In regards to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, my “Roadmap” to peace provides a clearcut method to resolve the conflict. My plan called for a ceasefire before multi-lateral talks could take place. My plan fell through but is still the method that the U.S. lobbies for in the region. Moreover, I was the first American president to call for the statehood of Palestine. This move helped my reputation in the Arab world for a while, but the good feelings soon faded after the invasion of Iraq.

I was born in New Haven, Connecticut on July 6, 1946. I received a bachelor’s degree in history from Yale University in 1968 and then served as an F-102 fighter pilot in the Texas Air National Guard. After serving my country in the National Guard, I received a Master of Business Administration from the Harvard Business School in 1975. Following graduation from business graduate school at Harvard, I moved back to Midland, TX and began a career in the energy business. After working on his father’s successful 1988 Presidential campaign, I assembled the group of partners who purchased the Texas Rangers baseball franchise in 1989. On November 8, 1994, the people of the great state of Texas elected me their governor. In November 2000, I was elected to my first term as President of the U.S., the position which I hold today.

MEANINGFUL QUOTATIONS:

"We believe that when all Middle Eastern peoples are finally allowed to live and
think and work and worship as free men and women, they will reclaim the
greatness of their own heritage. And when that day comes, the bitterness and
burning hatreds that feed terrorism will fade and die away.”

"Today, the government of a free Afghanistan is fighting terror, Pakistan is
capturing terrorist leaders, Saudi Arabia is making raids and arrests, Libya is
dismantling its weapons programs, the army of a free Iraq is fighting for
freedom, and more than three-quarters of al-Qaida's key members and associates
have been detained or killed. We have led, many have joined, and America and
the world are safer."

"In Afghanistan, terrorists have done everything they can to intimidate people —
yet more than 10 million citizens have registered to vote in the October
presidential election — a resounding endorsement of democracy."

"The failure of freedom would only mark the beginning of peril and violence.
But, my fellow Americans, we will not fail. We will persevere and defeat this
enemy and hold this hard-won ground for the realm of liberty."

"The way out of this recession, the way to create jobs, is to grow the economy
by encouraging investment in factories and equipment, and by speeding up tax
relief so people have more money to spend."

"The best hope for peace in our world is the expansion of freedom in all the
world."

"I just want you to know that, when we talk about war, we're really talking
about peace"

"America will never seek a permission slip to defend the security of our
people."

"Any government that supports, protects or harbors terrorists is complicit in
the murder of the innocent and equally guilty of terrorist crimes."

Sim Game Enemies: Hilary Clinton, Noam Chomsky, Jacques Chirac, Gerhard Schroeder, Osama Bin Laden, Iranian Nuclear Authority

Sim Game Allies:
Dick Cheney, Rush Limbaugh (sometimes), Condeleeza Rice, NSC Director, Paul Wolfwitz, FOX News, Pervez Musharref, Tony Blair, Donald Rumsfeld, Porter Goss (CIA), John Bolton (UN), Ariel Sharon

Back to:   Arab-Israeli Politics Main Page