Arab-Israeli Politics

Bibliographies

Noam Chomsky

by Randy Mathisen

Overview

Noam Chomsky is the Institute Professor Emeritus of Linguistics at
MIT. He has been an activist and critic of US and Israeli policy and
is very out spoken with his criticism. Since he is still active in
the form of lecturing, writing, and debating I feel that it was
important to have all of my sources be directly from him, whether it
be his books, his writing for academic journal, interviews he has
given, and talks. I have read critics of his thought but feel that
they have no place in my playing of him for the simulation since many
the questions that will arise he has already addressed.

Source One: (website) www.chomsky.info

This website is incredible. It offered a massive catalogue of all of
his books, hundreds of articles, video and audio feeds. In addition
to these resources they also have a section devoted to criticisms of
Chomsky. I found most of my articles, video and audio feeds from
links on this web site. And, refreshingly, most of the links work and
all are cited so you can look at the sources that they were taken
from.

Source Two: (interview) On Globalization, Iraq, and Middle Eastern
Studies, interviewed by Danilo Mandic, Princeton Progressive Review,
March 11, 2005

This Interview focuses on globalization. It looks at the questions of
the Middle East and puts them in the perspective of glob consequence.
Chomsky answers questions such as Is the problems in the Middle East
just another in a string of anti-globalization conflicts? And how do
the situations compare in Iraq and Israel?

Source Three: (interview) On Iraq, Israel and the US Elections,
interviewed by Simon Mars, the Dubai Business Channel, April 2, 2004

This Interview helped me get a clearer picture on how Chomsky connects
events in the Middle East to domestic politics. This will be
important to play his role in the simulation game, as Chomsky's voice
is one of dissent for the US's and other western countries role in the
Middle East.

Source Four: (interview) Justice for Palestine?, interviewed by
Stephen R. Shalom and Justin Podur, Znet, March 30, 2004

This interview is shorter that gives more direct answers to many of
the resolution questions, such as a two state solution, a single
non-secular state and what terms Israeli and Palestinians would be
willing except.

Source Five: (interview) On Bush the Left, Iraq, and Israel,
interviewed by M. Junaid Alan, Left Hook, February 4, 2004

This interview was conducted by a young man for a youth journal. It
is insightful and basic interview that covers many topics
superficially.

Source Six: (interview) On the US and the Middle East, interviewed by
Hawzheen O. Kareem, Komal Newspaper, January 2, 2004

This interview focuses on the US role in the middle east and offers a
revisionist history of the area the Howard Zinn would be proud of.
This interview is conducted by a Kurdish reporter and centers itself
around this often over looked group in the middle east.

Source Seven: (video feed) The US in the Middle East, from a lecture
given on February 15, 2005 to the Lebanese Student Club at MIT. You
can find the link at www.chomsky.info under Audio n' Video.

This video feed gives you the opportunity to watch Dr. Chomsky. The
content varies little from the information in the previous articles.
You can see the overall demeanor of this man and the aura calmness he
brings to the discussion.

Source Eight: (audio feed) The US, Israel, and Palestine, from a
Lecture given at the University of Leipzig on March 28, 2005. You
can find the link at www.chomsky.info under Audio n' Video.

He addresses the concepts anti-Americanism and anti-Israel. His main
point is that they do not exist in the manner in which most of his
critics claim. Once again, like the video feed you are able to hear
the direct and pragmatic manner in which he speaks and fields
questions.

Source Nine: (transcript of a talk) Prospects of Peace in the Middle
East, given at the University of Toledo on March 4, 2001. You can
find the link at www.chomsky.info under Talks.

This slightly older transcript outlines his prospect for peace in the
Middle East. It is quite lengthy and covers three topics in great
length: US-Iraq sanctions, the Turkish-Kurdish abuses, and the
Israeli-Palestinian relations.

Source Ten: (transcript of a talk, web cast and website) The Current
Crises in The Middle East: What Can We Do? Web cast, transcripts at
http://web.media.mit.edu/~nitin/mideast/chomsky.html

A great multi-media website that is focused on a nearly three hour
lecture he gave back in 2001.

--
revolution through education
learn to read, write, teach, question, and fight

Overview.doc

Back to:   Arab-Israeli Politics Main Page